I had some left over Oreos after making some Oreo funfetti cookies and debated whether I should just eat the rest of the cookies or if I should use them for something else. I’ve been craving rice crispy treats and thought that it would be a great combination to mix some Oreos in for some extra texture and flavor.
- 12 giant squares
- 5 cups of rice crispy cereal
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 8 Oreo cookies (or any cookie with a cream filling)
Notes and tips
- You can use a deeper pan to make the rice crispy treats thicker or use a more shallow pan to make them thinner.
- You can adjust the amount of cereal, marshmallow and Oreos if you want it more or less crispy or sweet.
- I was lazy and crushed the Oreos in the bowl (but had to be careful as it was glass). It’s easier to put the Oreos in a plastic back and smash it with something like a rolling pin.
- The cup of non-melted marshmallow that is added in the mixing bowl first gives the rice crispy treat more gooey-ness.
- The best way to wash the dishes coated with marshmallow is to wash it with super hot water and soap. It will not be easy to wash it with just soap and water or even soaking it.
Putting it together
- In a large bowl, crush the Oreos into smaller pieces. I used the back of the spatula.
- Measure out the rice crispy cereal and 1 cup of marshmallow and pour it into the same bowl as the crushed Oreos.
- Line a baking pan with wax paper.
Putting it together
- In a large pot (preferably non stick), melt the butter on medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the rest of the marshmallows and stir with a spatula until the marshmallow is melted as well.
- Pour the melted butter and marshmallow mixture on top of the Oreo and rice crispy mixture.
- Stir everything together until evenly coated.
- Pour everything in the baking pan and use something flat to press the cereal mixture down (I used the bottom of a measuring cup).
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Once it’s set, take the wax paper with the rice crispy treat out of the baking pan and set it on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut it into pieces – as small/big as your liking.
I thought the rice crispy treats turned out really well. I loved the texture as it had a nice crisp to it, but it was still soft and gooey from the marshmallow. The Oreos definitely added a lot of sweetness to it, and I liked the combination of the cookies, rice cereal and marshmallow. Overall, it makes a great snack and dessert. Aside from a little bit of stickiness, it was super easy to make and I would totally make it again.